We ditched Heart of Dakota. I really, really love HOD, but my oldest was not happy with it. He doesn't like notebook pages, hated the One Small Square books, and started saying he hated science! eek! Didn't need that. I have to admit some things felt like overkill to me. I really, really wanted it be the answer for many happy years of homeschooling, so it was tough to let it go. I haven't even brought myself to sell it yet.
This is our current line-up...
Patriot (10)
Teaching Textbooks (math)--almost finished with 4
Writing With Ease 3
First Language Lessons 3
Classically Cursive
Phonetic Zoo
various readers from HOD's lists
Einstein (8)
Teaching Textbooks 3
Writing with Ease 2
Phonetic Zoo
Classically Cursive
HOD Emergent Readers list
Pickle (6)
Teaching Textbooks 3
Writing With Ease 1
The Reading Lesson (almost finished and then on to HOD ERS!)
Reading Eggs
All three boys together:
Apologia Zoology 1
Story of the World 1 w/ library books and activities from the guide
Victor's Journey through the Bible
We're also about to start Practical Happiness or Created to Work as a family study. I want to get them going on memorizing Bible verses again, too. I let that slide after dropping HOD. I just ordered Truth and Grace Memory Books 1 and 2 for that purpose.
I like the materials we are using, but I'm not happy with our pace. That seems to be a common theme in our homeschool. I may have to accept that. I keep praying for direction on how to balance everything. I know my children are learning a lot outside of formal school, but that doesn't always calm my worries.
No comments:
Post a Comment